[OE-core] Problems with PACKAGE_CLASSES = "package_tar"

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Apr 25 12:19:57 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-04-25 at 11:21 +0100, Lewis, Nick wrote:
> >> I am seeing problems when using PACKAGE_CLASSES = "package_tar"
> >>
> >> There are many warnings about python indents and there are errors
> >> regarding missing populate_sdk_tar.bbclass and rootfs_tar.bbclass
> >
> >With 1.3 (danny)? These should be fixed in 1.4 (dyland) and master...
>
> Richard
> I have tried cherry picking from Dylan but it also seems to be missing populate_sdk_tar.bbclass and rootfs_tar.bbclass
> Does Dylan support PACKAGE_CLASSES = "package_tar" without these classes?

The package_tar class generates tarballs. tarballs do not have
dependency information so its not possible to implement the
populate_sdk_tar or rootfs_tar classes on top of it.

I'm seriously considering removing the package_tar code since it isn't
really useful and its clear nobody uses it since it remained broken for
a long time.

What you probably want to do is use a low overhead package manager like
opkg, then after image generation remove the package data.
core-image-minimal is an example of an image which does this.