[OE-core] GCC PARALLEL_MAKE changed

Vali Cobelea valentin.cobelea at enea.com
Thu Aug 8 07:55:53 UTC 2013

Hi,

We noticed that the GCC parallel make flag (PARALLEL_MAKE, located in
"meta/recipes-devtools/gcc/gcc-cross-canadian_4.?.bb") got changed from
"-j 32" to simply nothing.
We are wondering what was the reason for this change, which seems to
have been made somewhere before the fall of 2012, while the GCC was
around version 4.6 or earlier (for each we dont have the repository to
track down the change).

After several builds where the compile time for GCC got measured, I can
say that this flag indeed reduces the build time, when it is put at "-j
32" (using a proper build machine).
In average the build time frame was reduced by 18%.

Much appreciated any thoughts on this, I know that it has been a while
since this change happen.

Thank you very much,
Vali