[OE-core] linux-yocto (dylan 3.8) arm and recipe-space issues

Peter A. Bigot pab at pabigot.com
Fri Aug 9 14:34:38 UTC 2013

I'm trying to use linux-yocto_3.8 under dylan (poky at 899e5cc) for
gumstix overo as an experiment.  Since there are no overo files in the
meta branch of the linux-yocto-3.8 repo, I'm using recipe-space
metadata.  I've run into two anomalies.

First, in-tree metadata is still being found and referenced, which is
good.  In my case $KARCH=arm which brings in arm.scc, and arm.cfg has:

   # Failure to use this on ARM results in lots of interesting runtime bugs.
   CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=y

But "bitbake linux-yocto -c kernel_configcheck" produces a merge_log.txt
that has:

   Using meta/cfg/kernel-cache/ktypes/base/base.cfg.sanitized as base
   Merging meta/cfg/kernel-cache/features/kgdb/kgdb.cfg.sanitized
   Merging meta/cfg/kernel-cache/arch/arm/arm.cfg.sanitized
   Merging meta/cfg/kernel-cache/ktypes/standard/standard.cfg.sanitized
   Value of CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE is redefined by fragment
meta/cfg/kernel-cache/ktypes/standard/standard.cfg.sanitized:
   Previous value: CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=y
   New value: # CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE is not set

and indeed CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE is not set in the resulting
config file.  This seems wrong, and I haven't been able to figure out
how to fix it.  That it's not diagnosed by kernel_configcheck also seems
wrong.

Second, seeing in that file that various features are being pulled in
from in-tree meta/cfg/kernel-cache/features, in my recipe-space
overo.scc I have:

   include features/spi/spi.scc

because the in-tree metadata has that fragment with the contents I
want.  It seems that because the reference is from a file in
recipe-space the existing metadata from in-tree isn't found in this
case, and I have to copy it into recipe-space FILESEXTRAPATHS for it to
be found.

Is there a way to reference in-tree metadata from a recipe-space scc
file so I don't have to duplicate it?

Thanks.

Peter