[OE-core] linux-yocto (dylan 3.8) arm and recipe-space issues

Peter A. Bigot pab at pabigot.com
Fri Aug 9 16:29:46 UTC 2013

On 08/09/2013 10:10 AM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Peter A. Bigot <pab at pabigot.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to use linux-yocto_3.8 under dylan (poky at 899e5cc) for gumstix
>> overo as an experiment.  Since there are no overo files in the meta branch
>> of the linux-yocto-3.8 repo, I'm using recipe-space metadata.  I've run into
>> two anomalies.
>>
>> First, in-tree metadata is still being found and referenced, which is good.
>> In my case $KARCH=arm which brings in arm.scc, and arm.cfg has:
>>
>>    # Failure to use this on ARM results in lots of interesting runtime bugs.
>>    CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=y
>>
>> But "bitbake linux-yocto -c kernel_configcheck" produces a merge_log.txt
>> that has:
>>
>>    Using meta/cfg/kernel-cache/ktypes/base/base.cfg.sanitized as base
>>    Merging meta/cfg/kernel-cache/features/kgdb/kgdb.cfg.sanitized
>>    Merging meta/cfg/kernel-cache/arch/arm/arm.cfg.sanitized
>>    Merging meta/cfg/kernel-cache/ktypes/standard/standard.cfg.sanitized
>>    Value of CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE is redefined by fragment
>> meta/cfg/kernel-cache/ktypes/standard/standard.cfg.sanitized:
>>    Previous value: CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=y
>>    New value: # CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE is not set
>>
>> and indeed CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE is not set in the resulting config
>> file.  This seems wrong, and I haven't been able to figure out how to fix
>> it.  That it's not diagnosed by kernel_configcheck also seems wrong.
> Definitely something odd going on here, we do want CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=y
> to be in the resulting configs. BSPs can disable it, but the default is set.
>
> Let me have a poke at this, and get back to you.

FWIW, there's a bunch of other things in merge_log.txt that look
peculiar, like:

     Value requested for CONFIG_HZ not in final .config
     Requested value:  CONFIG_HZ=100
     Actual value:     CONFIG_HZ=128

>> Second, seeing in that file that various features are being pulled in from
>> in-tree meta/cfg/kernel-cache/features, in my recipe-space overo.scc I have:
>>
>>    include features/spi/spi.scc
>>
>> because the in-tree metadata has that fragment with the contents I want.  It
>> seems that because the reference is from a file in recipe-space the existing
>> metadata from in-tree isn't found in this case, and I have to copy it into
>> recipe-space FILESEXTRAPATHS for it to be found.
>>
>> Is there a way to reference in-tree metadata from a recipe-space scc file so
>> I don't have to duplicate it?
> Absolutely, use:
>
> KERNEL_FEATURES += " features/spi/spi.scc"
>
> in your recipe, and you'll reach in and reuse the fragments and follow the
> kernel tree around.

Thanks.  I'd rather have them in the machine.scc file, but
KERNEL_FEATURES works.

I did get:

| WARNING: addon feature "features/leds/leds" was not found
| WARNING: addon feature "features/spi/spi" was not found
| WARNING: addon feature "features/usb/usb-gadgets" was not found

because meta/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto*_3.8.bb SRCREV_meta hasn't
been updated to the tip of the repository branch yet.  Similarly
SRCREV_machine's default explains why I'm getting 3.8.11 instead of
3.8.13.  Easy enough to fix in the recipe.

Peter