[OE-core] Enabling x264 support in gstreamer

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Tue Aug 13 19:26:28 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-13 11:36, Martin Jansa wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 11:29:10AM -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:
>> I see that some of the gstreamer recipes have changed so that x264
>> is now a PACKAGECONFIG option.  However, I don't see anything that
>> enables this option anywhere.
>>
>> How do I get x264 support back - it was working with Poky/Yocto
>> just a few weeks back...
>>
>> Note: I have imported meta-oe/recipes-multimedia/x264 from meta-openembedded
>> into my layers for this [library] package.
>
> Add x264 to PACKAGECONFIG in your .bbappend or distro config as
> PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-gst-foo = " x264"

Thanks, although this seems very cumbersome to me.  Is this the only
(or at least expected) way for this to work?

I didn't find the section in the manual that discusses this to be very
enlightening.  It tells me *how* to use PACKAGECONFIG in a recipe but
not really *why* nor how to control it in a build/image/distro.