[OE-core] recipe whitespace style questions

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 14:13:39 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 08:51:40AM -0500, Peter A. Bigot wrote:

> SRC_URI = "file://skeleton \
>             file://skeleton_test.c \
>             file://COPYRIGHT \
> "
>
> which I'll call "none", and;
>
> SRC_URI = "file://skeleton \
>             file://skeleton_test.c \
>             file://COPYRIGHT"
>
> which I'll call "joined".
>
> Again, for consistency's sake it would be nice to have a
> recommendation.  I personally prefer "none", which matches the closing
> bracket style for functions.
>
> Next: I've also seen:
>
> SRC_URI = " \
>      file://skeleton \
>      file://skeleton_test.c \
>      file://COPYRIGHT \
> "

I prefer this one (especially for longer variables or entries) or "none",
because with "none" it's easier to see where multiline variable ends.

Worst is IMHO "joined" because when appending one more line you have to
edit 2 lines to move '"' so the diff for review is longer and harder to
read than just one added line.

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com