[OE-core] [CONSOLIDATED PULL 00/62] Python3, Packge Exlude and more (Initial ACK Please)!

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 17:39:14 UTC 2013

On Aug 22, 2013, at 2:07 AM, Paul Eggleton <paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 21 August 2013 22:58:55 Saul Wold wrote:
>> Paul, Ross:
>>
>> Please review this set.
>>
>> It has a number of large changes that I want more EYES on!
>>
>> Particularly, the python3 patch set, which I may remove before
>> this is final due to the world build issue.
>>
>> There is also a few patches on poky from Beth and myself which
>> need a look at and ACK
>> The following changes since commit d98f08a7ad95d0b17846276b028a6614f16b6846:
>>
>>  genext2fs: fix memory corruption on powerpc (2013-08-20 07:11:44 -0700)
>>
>> are available in the git repository at:
>>
>>  git://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib sgw/stage
>>
>> http://cgit.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=sgw/
>> stage
>>
>> Cristian Iorga (4):
>>  packagegroup-self-hosted: pcmanfm integration
>>  builder: register directories with pcmanfm
>>  build-appliance-image: changing the icon theme to sato
>>  default-providers: Set the preferred provider for bluez
>
> I thought we were going to fix the libasound-module-bluez multiple provider
> issue by renaming the package?
>
>> Jonathan Liu (3):
>>  xf86-video-intel: remove duplicate xf86driproto from DEPENDS
>>  xf86-video-vesa: remove duplicate xf86driproto from DEPENDS
>>  mesa: enable additional drivers for gallium-llvm x86/x86-64
>>
>> Kai Kang (3):
>>  bc: fix segmentation fault
>>  libx11: upgrade to 1.6.1
>>  libx11-diet: upgrade to 1.6.1
>
> "Deleted keysymdef_include patch" - why? Presumably because it was merged
> upstream, but that needs to be stated.
>
>> Khem Raj (27):
>>  generate-manifest-3.3.py: Add script to generate python 3.3 manifests
>>  python-3.3-manifest: Add python3 manifest file
>>  python3native.bbclass: Add python3 abstraction class
>>  package_rpm.bbclass:Make the regexp less greedy
>>  classes/distutils: Introduce PYTHON_PN
>>  classes: Add distutils for python3
>
> I hadn't noticed earlier, but this set of changes introduces a shedload more
> bbclasses. Are these really all necessary?

If you look at it the classes are to let python3 live along and share the common code with python2

>>  setuptools.bbclass: Use python-distribute instead of python-setuptools
>>  distutils3.bbclass: Port the distutils class fix to handle filenames
>>    with spaces
>>  setuptools3.bbclass: Remove useless multiline comment
>
> These incremental changes to files added in earlier commits need to be squashed
> into those commits.

I have kept them for history, except the last one other two are worthwhile to have separate
commits

>>  distutils: Introduce PYTHON_ABI variable
>>  distutils3: Do build_ext as separate step during compile
>>  python3: Add recipes
>>  python3: Add native recipe
>>  python_2.7.3.bb: Inherit python-dir
>>  python3-nose: Testing tools for python
>>  zeromq: Add recipe
>>  pyzmq: Add recipes using python3
>
> There's inadequate justification given in the commit messages for why these
> last two need to be added; I already mentioned this in earlier feedback on
> these changes. What's more, the second commit makes a tweak to the commit
> before which should be squashed into there instead.

*mq and *nose are needed for ipython, which is a powerful tool commonly used but
on a second thought actually I will drop ipython
from OE-Core and put it in some other layer like meta-oe and if there are enough
users who then want it, we can make a case of moving it into OE-Core

>>  ipython: Add recipes for ipython2 and ipython3
>
> Again, the commit message needs to mention why we need these.

see above.