[OE-core] appears to be inconsistency re: base-files between oe-core and meta-angstrom

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Aug 29 11:57:13 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-08-29 at 12:49 +0100, Phil Blundell wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-08-29 at 07:37 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   distroless. i realize i *could* set a value for DISTRO, but it would
> > seem that i shouldn't have to in order to avoid a build error.
>
> Well, either you're using angstrom or you aren't.  If you do want to use
> it then you ought to set DISTRO appropriately, and if you don't want to
> use it then you probably oughtn't to have the angstrom layer included at
> all.
>
> Trying to use the angstrom .bbappends and files with a different (or no)
> distro configuration will give you a set of metadata that's neither one
> thing nor the other and, even if you didn't get a build error, there's
> no guarantee that the resulting image would actually work.

I'm not sure I agree. Ideally layers should be includable without
turning on behaviour unless it is enabled. This is why we have things
like an array of OVERRIDES to chose from.

So I'd actually suggest this is a bug in the angstrom layer. There are
also other layers which probably have issues, maybe including meta-yocto
but we should fix them.

I'll go further and suggest that Yocto Project Compatible status might
depend on this in future (the current questions suggest it should be the
case already).