[OE-core] Bug: 5089

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Fri Aug 30 13:02:58 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 1:47 PM, Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 7:45 AM, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > there was this change which also goes undocumented. Unfortunately, this
> is
> > causing a lot of headache for me, but I expect that for others, too.
> >
> > I would like to propose the default kernel and module name from:
> >
> > uImage--3.2.1...
> >
> > to:
> >
> > uImage-3.2.1...
> >
> > This would avoid a lot of work for people. I have been trying to fix
> issues
> > for one day due to this which is unfortunate.
> >
> > Also, the double dash on its looks silly IMO. It should be either '-0-'
> or
> > '-'. I prefer the latter for compatibility reasons, although someone
> could
> > argue about that the former is more readable.
>
> Having maintained several systems when the default name was changed
> to include PE, it didn't cause any problems here. Both dependent recipes
> and scripts picked up the change easily and convenience symlinks made
> the -- or -0- not something that needed to be dealt with.

That makes me think you have too flexible scripts which will cause issues
elsewhere due to the flexibility. I had been on that front, too. That was a
gate in my case for a lot of issues where something was expected, but the
script was too flexible to verify properly. Either, when you use an
accurate script, i.e. you follow the name format specified, it will cause
you issues when updated. It is likely that you just have not provided
accurate enough pattern matching.

Anyway, I will not insist on this much if people think breaking this for
many scripts is fine, and extending the documentation should be enough.

-- Laszlo