[OE-core] [RFC] Build directory reuse issue - make WORKDIR machine specific?

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Mon Dec 9 11:44:39 UTC 2013

On 9 December 2013 11:30, Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> b) looks attractive but could be confusing as we'd no longer have
> PACKAGE_ARCH workdirs, they'd all be "machine specific" however they
> would still get reused by sstate as they are today. It does however
> neatly sidestep the set of issues we're currently seeing.

As someone who often switches between mostly-compatible machines
(qemux86/qemux86-64/genericx86/nuc) I'm often hitting problems like
this.  Most recently libproxy was using a sysroot that didn't exist,
which prompted my cmake patch.

Presumably the change would replace the package-architecture element
in the path with the machine name.  Seems reasonable to me: a more
logical layout of files without any meaningful impact to performance.

Ross