[OE-core] Why to make branch info is mandatory for non-master commit with latest bitbake

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Mon Dec 23 10:42:47 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-12-23 at 06:41 +0000, zhenhua.luo at freescale.com wrote:
> Previously the branch name doesn't need to be defined when a
> non-master branch commit is referred in recipe, this has been changed
> in latest bitbake.
>
> Is this an intentional change? May I know the reason of the change if it is intentional?

It was intentional and was triggered by this change:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/commit/?id=f19546e02d3318ee69fd0c34e21aa97b74c987ec

which is a sanity test added to fix certain failure cases where a given
revision wasn't on a specified branch.

The bug was nasty since the fetcher was hitting the network in cases it
shouldn't have been when a branch wasn't specified.