[OE-core] [oe] RFC: meta-oe appends and overlayed recipes

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Tue Feb 12 10:24:50 UTC 2013

On 11 February 2013 17:09, Paul Eggleton <paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> I'd like to make an attempt to remove all appends and overlayed recipes from
> the meta-oe layer. As I've said previously, I don't believe meta-oe - as a
> collection of very useful additional recipes that many wish to be able to use
> on top of their OE-Core based build configurations - should be making any
> possibly unexpected changes to those configurations. Any such changes ought to
> be the province of distro layers alone.

Hear hear!

> * tslib: OE-Core has the 1.0 release version, meta-oe has a git recipe that is
> ahead of 1.0; the OE-Core version has two patches not in the meta-oe version
> but that both have been merged upstream in the git revision being used in the
> meta-oe version. There is no newer stable release. What do we do here? Should
> we ask upstream (Chris) for a new stable release?

Is anyone actually using tslib these days?  oe-core dropped kdrive,
and we don't package the apparently unmaintained input driver for
Xorg.  I guess a new upstream would be good, and then move to meta-oe.

> * xserver-nodm-init: the two versions are quite distinct. Not sure I
> understand the full history here but perhaps someone else can fill in the
> blanks...?

I don't understand the full history either yet, but this is clearly
something that needs to be sorted.

> * meta-oe/recipes-core/busybox/busybox_1.20.2.bbappend
> As far as I can tell this just adds an /etc/busybox-syslog.default file
> containing OPTIONS="-C64" and seems to have been added for systemd support.
> I'm not sure why this wasn't moved to meta-systemd, but I assume it needs to
> be merged into OE-Core now that systemd support is being added there... ?

When it's understood *what* that does, then we can evaluate it for oe-core.

> * meta-oe/recipes-extended/polkit/polkit_0.104.bbappend
> Another bbappend apparently for systemd support. Again, this should have been
> moved to meta-systemd; do we now need to merge it into OE-Core?

Yes, half of it has been merged to master already. The rest should be
in Radu's branch, we can sort that today.

> * meta-oe/recipes-multimedia/gstreamer/gst-ffmpeg_0.10.13.bbappend
> Builds against external libav instead of using the builtin copy of ffmpeg,
> apparently for better performance on ARM (and presumably that is not the only
> benefit). It's less clear to me what should be done with this, but I'd still
> rather it could be eliminated. OE-Core does not have ffmpeg/libav; one wonders
> if it should or not.

libav/gst-ffmpeg/gst-av (as it's called in gst1.0) has interesting
legal issues, but I do think it should be in oe-core.

Ross