[OE-core] [oe] RFC: meta-oe appends and overlayed recipes

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Tue Feb 12 16:43:58 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Paul Eggleton
<paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 February 2013 10:24:50 Burton, Ross wrote:
>> > * tslib: OE-Core has the 1.0 release version, meta-oe has a git recipe
>> > that is ahead of 1.0; the OE-Core version has two patches not in the
>> > meta-oe version but that both have been merged upstream in the git
>> > revision being used in the meta-oe version. There is no newer stable
>> > release. What do we do here? Should we ask upstream (Chris) for a new
>> > stable release?
>>
>> Is anyone actually using tslib these days?  oe-core dropped kdrive,
>> and we don't package the apparently unmaintained input driver for
>> Xorg.  I guess a new upstream would be good, and then move to meta-oe.
>
> Qt Embedded as we build it is currently configured to use tslib, as is
> SDL. If the alternative (evdev?) is supported they could presumably be
> switched over though. I don't know how practical that is however.

Yes Qt Embedded uses it; not sure evdev is an alternative here.

>> > * xserver-nodm-init: the two versions are quite distinct. Not sure I
>> > understand the full history here but perhaps someone else can fill in the
>> > blanks...?
>>
>> I don't understand the full history either yet, but this is clearly
>> something that needs to be sorted.
>>
>> > * meta-oe/recipes-core/busybox/busybox_1.20.2.bbappend
>> > As far as I can tell this just adds an /etc/busybox-syslog.default file
>> > containing OPTIONS="-C64" and seems to have been added for systemd
>> > support.
>> > I'm not sure why this wasn't moved to meta-systemd, but I assume it needs
>> > to be merged into OE-Core now that systemd support is being added
>> > there... ?
>> When it's understood *what* that does, then we can evaluate it for oe-core.
>
> The following commit introduced this:
>
> http://cgit.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded/commit/?id=c48a6a605c6d8d38cfbc5df39b3dc310bffc07c1
>
> Otavio can you explain further?

This was to make the service to use the /etc/default/busybox-syslog to
configure syslog. Today with the availability of journald I not sure
it still has an use. It might be dropped I think.

Mobile: +55 53 9981-7854              http://projetos.ossystems.com.br