[OE-core] [oe] RFC: meta-oe appends and overlayed recipes

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Tue Feb 12 19:32:48 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa at gmail.com>wrote:

> > * meta-oe/recipes-qt/qt4/qt4-x11-free_4.8.4.bbappend
> > * meta-oe/recipes-qt/qt4/qt4-embedded_4.8.4.bbappend
> > These two add MySQL and PostgreSQL support to Qt and Qt/Embedded. I see
> this
> > as a distro policy decision; these should move to the layers for
> whichever
> > distros want this. FWIW, this is particularly egregious if you've already
> > built Qt, then add meta-oe and find Qt is being unexpectedly rebuilt.
>
> MySQL and PostgreSQL are not in oe-core so it cannot be replaced with
> simple PACKAGECONFIG option in oe-core recipe, but I also prefer to
> share such .bbappend somewhere instead of every distribution reinventing
> the wheel when trying to enable something as simple as db in qt.

I don't see any reason the oe-core recipe couldn't provide the
packageconfig options, even missing the dependencies. They are valid
package configuration options, so they should exist in PACKAGECONFIG. If a
distro wants to enable one of them, however, they'd better include the
layers that provide the deps :)
--
Christopher Larson