[OE-core] any objection to my cleaning up some packagegroup files in oe-core?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Jan 1 12:46:24 UTC 2013

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012, Gary Thomas wrote:

> On 2012-12-30 12:44, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >    specifically, in cases like this in packagegroup-core-sdk.bb:
> >
> > RDEPENDS_packagegroup-core-sdk
> >
> > could more cleanly be expressed as:
> >
> > RDEPENDS_${PN}
> >
> > could it not?  there are quite a few of those unnecessarily verbose
> > constructs, anyone mind if i submit a patch to make that change?
>
> Why stop there?  It seems that recipe could use more changes:
>   RPROVIDES_packagegroup-core-sdk = "task-core-sdk"
>   RREPLACES_packagegroup-core-sdk = "task-core-sdk"
>   RCONFLICTS_packagegroup-core-sdk = "task-core-sdk"
>
>   RDEPENDS_packagegroup-core-sdk = "\
>
> All of these should use _${PN}
>
> Also, most of the recipes in meta/recipes-core/packagegroups/* could
> use similar changes to make them more readable and maintainable.

  good lord, there's a lot of that, such as in packagegroups-base.bb:

PROVIDES = "${PACKAGES}"
PACKAGES = ' \
            packagegroup-base \
            packagegroup-base-extended \
            packagegroup-distro-base \
            packagegroup-machine-base \
            \
            ${@base_contains("MACHINE_FEATURES", "acpi", "packagegroup-base-acpi", "",d)} \
            ${@base_contains("MACHINE_FEATURES", "alsa", "packagegroup-base-alsa", "", d)} \
            ${@base_contains("MACHINE_FEATURES", "apm", "packagegroup-base-apm", "", d)} \
            ${@base_contains("MACHINE_FEATURES", "ext2", "packagegroup-base-ext2", "", d)} \
            ... and lots more ...

  sure, there's a lot of that cleanup that could be done but a few
questions:

1) given how *much* there is, is it worth the non-functional churn?
i'm a big believer in consistency and aesthetics but even *i* would
understand if others didn't want to go down that road.

2) is there a standard for quoting here (single vs double)?  i've seen
both variations:

  ${@base_contains("MACHINE_FEATURES", "acpi", "packagegroup-base-acpi", "",d)} \
  ${@base_contains("MACHINE_FEATURES", "alsa", 'packagegroup-base-alsa', "", d)} \

  although i don't think that matters for the eventual expansion of
${PN} inside the quotes

3) as i mentioned before, there are the occasional package defns that
mess up the prettiness, as with packagegroup-base:

  PACKAGES = ' \
            packagegroup-base \
            packagegroup-base-extended \
            packagegroup-distro-base \    <-- can't abbreviate obviously
            packagegroup-machine-base \

  anyway, i'd be willing to do some cleaning for the aesthetic
benefit, but only if others think it's worth it and there's a clear
style guide.  it would certainly cut down on the verbosity.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca