[OE-core] alsaconf and bash

Florin Sarbu florin.sarbu at windriver.com
Tue Jan 8 06:09:14 UTC 2013

On 01/08/2013 02:44 AM, Chris Larson wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 2:36 PM, Florin Sarbu
> <florin.sarbu at windriver.com <mailto:florin.sarbu at windriver.com>> wrote:
>
>     in alsa-utils_1.0.25.bb <http://alsa-utils_1.0.25.bb>, I see this
>     comment:
>
>     # We omit alsaconf, because
>     # a) this is a bash script
>     # b) it creates config files not suitable for OE-based distros
>
>     Trying out on master, I get a do_rootfs error because bash is not
>     a rundep of alsa-utils, and there is nothing in the alsa-utils
>     recipe that actually does the above mentioned removal of the
>     alsaconf script. Looking in the git log, I only see that the
>     comment has suddenly appeared in an older alsa-utils recipe and
>     has been carried along since with every update to the recipe, and
>     not left over there as an artifact of some older commit as I expected.
>     Can anyone shed some light on this?
>

> From some quick git log -S commands in the old openembedded classic
> repository, it seems to have originated
> with 7653e980f66b4bd147df308f9b04d6b197382d6a from 2005, and the line
> below the comment was 'FILES_${PN} = ""', so presumably that was what
> left it out — none of the files patterns matched it.
Okay, so it seems that the comment actually said at that time that the
alsa-utils generated rpm won't contain alsaconf. And bellow, this bash
script gets into the alsa-utils-alsaconf rpm. Unfortunately, even though
there is this separation, the alsa-utils rpm depends on the
alsa-utils-alsaconf rpm so it's pretty much the same thing as do_rootfs
is concerned. (missing bash dependency). How would you guys see this
resolved upstream? Add bash as a dep, remove alsa-utils-alsaconf as a
dep or alsa-utils (as the comment says the script is not suitable for
OE-based distros) or check the alsaconf script for bashisms and fix if
any and make alsa-utils rely on a busybox shell interpreter if possible
(with the modification of the !/bin/bash shabang from the alsaconf
script to /bin/sh)?

Florin