[OE-core] split mtd-utils

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 16:12:39 UTC 2013

Dear all,

As I am involved in embedded systems where flash is somewhat sparse I'm
always eager to save a few bytes where possible.

Today I noticed that mtd-utils (1.5.0 from danny) generates for my
architecture (powerpc) roughly 780k of binaries in usr/sbin. 423k of it is
due to ubifs related files.

Would it be desired to put this in a separate package?
e.g. mtd-utils-ubi and mtd-utils-nonubi with mtd-utils itself being empty
but rdepend on those two?
that way mtd-utils will still give all packages but those only wanting the
non ubi stuff can limit themselves to that.

If desired I can give this a stab.

Best regards, Frans.