[OE-core] for a quad-core machine, shouldn't parallelism be set to 8?

Scott Garman scott.a.garman at intel.com
Wed Jan 9 17:55:15 UTC 2013

> On Wed, 9 Jan 2013, Elvis Dowson wrote:
>
>> Hi Robert,
>
>> On my i7 quad core machine, I've set both values to 6. Setting it to
>> 6 appears to be nearly the same as setting it to 8, I dare say a
>> marginally faster by a minute. I can build core image console in
>> around 22 minutes.
>>
>> Elvis
>
>    i recall someone (richard purdie?) once benchmarked to check the
> benefits of increasing parallelism and while it's obvious you'll hit
> the wall eventually, it would still be nice for the documentation to
> be consistent.

FWIW Robert, I think in the cases like this where the patch is fairly
trivial, I'd recommend just submitting it and getting feedback on it. In
general I've found you've raised some legitimate issues, but the fixes
aren't happening because patches aren't coming in, and things like
documentation consistency on this level is not going to compete with
other issues the developers are munching on.

Just a suggestion,

Scott

--
Scott Garman