[OE-core] [oe] locking down patchwork and wiki registrations

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Wed Jan 9 21:55:00 UTC 2013

On 1/9/13 9:59 AM, Khem Raj wrote:
> Hi
>
> We receive tonne of spam in form of registrations everyday and some of
> bots have become smarted that they even activate their
> profiles. It has to be manually deleted and its tedious. I would
> therefore like to remove the 'register' link from pw front page
> that will stop the spam as I have already experimented with it a bit.
>
> Same is also true for wiki. We should make the registration process to
> be manual since that will put some end to registration spam.
>
> I am open to other ideas to stop spam without locking registrations.
>
> The registrations will still happen but should be done manually.

I don't have any problem w/ manual registration, but I do have a concern.
Manual registration often times becomes a black hole for people.  You send off a
request to get registered and if the one person, who in their spare time
monitors it happens to be on vacation for three weeks it just disappears.

If we do this, we need to come up with a way that a group of people can add to
the registered users.  Perhaps even allowing all registered e.V. members to do it?

--Mark