[OE-core] update-modules, do we need it anymore?

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 13:45:17 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM, Laurentiu Palcu
<laurentiu.palcu at intel.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> While working on making all postinstalls run on host, I saw that we
> still use update-modules script. However, neither the kmod modprobe nor
> the busybox one read /etc/modules.conf file anymore which is created by
> update-modules script. Both scan /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf files.
>
> So, does anybody know why do we still have it around? Most modern
> distributions declared update-modules as obsolete and /etc/modules.conf
> doesn't exist anymore. Am I missing something?

I've been using the autoload functionality (not heavily, but from time to
time)
that is currently tied to update-modules. I did a quick scan of the
alternatives
in oe-core, and didn't immediately see that the same thing is possible via
kmod. Is that the case, or am I missing something as well ?

Cheers,

Bruce

> Thanks,
> Laurentiu

"Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee
at its end"