[OE-core] update-modules, do we need it anymore?

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 14:57:31 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 9:24 AM, Laurentiu Palcu
<laurentiu.palcu at intel.com>wrote:

> On 01/10/2013 04:10 PM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> > I don't have any use for the rest of update-modules, so I don't disagree
> on
> > that point. I'd just like to see a form of autoload support be continued
> if
> > anything happens to update-modules. But since update-modules isn't
> > mandatory, I suppose nothing drastic will happen to it regardless, but
> > having
> > a modern equivalent would be nice :)
> >
> Just to be clear on this. Even if update-modules is removed, modules
> will still be autoloaded by modutils.sh which is run in rcS.d. Also,
> /etc/init.d/modutils.sh can be run separately.

Right, but the files that it reads are generated in kernel.bbclass, right ?
If so, the generation of those files is tied to update-modules being in the
DISTRO_FEATURES and available. So if update-modules is removed, we
want to update the kernel.bbclass to have a different generation of the
autoload config files.

Bruce

--
"Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee
at its end"