[OE-core] image_types.bbclass: what's with "elf" and "cpio.gz"?

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Sun Jan 13 12:32:18 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-01-12 at 12:15 -0700, Chris Larson wrote:

>         Order is important. The elf image depends on the cpio.gz image
>         already
>         having been created so a) it must be created and b) it must
>         happen
>         before elf.
>
> I'd think we could implement a data-driven method for this, rather
> than hardcoding this knowledge. Either declare the deps via a flag, or
> have one directly call the other.

Calling one from the other would cause issues like knowing when the
image type had already run (or cause it to run multiple times) but the
deps idea in flags would be better I agree. Its just the small matter of
implementing it and the complexities that entails.

With pseudo now able to safely store state, there is probably no excuse
not to split the rootfs task into multiple pieces and have the image
creation parts as separate tasks. This would mean we can use the normal
dependency logic and not have to reinvent the wheel. It would also allow
parallelism too, all with existing code.

The more I think about this, the more I like the idea...