[OE-core] Automatic generation of circular deps sucks

Marcin Juszkiewicz marcin.juszkiewicz at linaro.org
Thu Jan 17 10:50:07 UTC 2013

As part of work I need to get libelf and libdwarf in one rootfs. So I
started with split of elfutils into separate packages. After some
rebuilds and checking how it got sorted out in Debian I got version in
attachment working.

So I started build of rootfs:

|  * check_data_file_clashes: Package libdw-dev wants to install file
/home/hrw/HDD/devel/canonical/aarch64/openembedded/build/tmp-eglibc/work/genericarmv8-oe-linux/linaro-image-sdk/1.0-r2/rootfs/usr/include/dwarf.h
|       But that file is already provided by package  * libdwarf-dev

WTH? was my first though. So I checked deeper...

Libdwarf (recipe) DEPENDS on elfutils and gives static library in
libdwarf-staticdev package, headers in libdwarf-dev package. OK, it
works. So I looked at dependencies of resulting packages.

Why libdwarf-dev recommends elfutils-dev is beyond my knowledge...

In effect installing libdwarf-dev fetches elfutils-dev which fetches
libdw-dev which conflicts with libdwarf-dev. Magically without any
RRECOMMENDS_${PN}-dev = "elfutils-dev" in libdwarf recipe...

What is wrong and how to fix it?