[OE-core] Multiple MACHINE building is broken in OE-core?

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 09:40:59 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 10:29:07AM +0100, Mike Looijmans wrote:
> I often have several hardware boards sharing 99% of periferals and
> configuration. Usually they all have the exact same CPU, and the
> difference is in the minor details like the screen resolution.
>
> In "classic" OE I was used to sharing the work, by just changing the
> MACHINE variable I could create an image for a slightly changed board in
> a matter of minutes.
>
> In OE-core this seems to be horribly broken, unless there's some other
> procedure to follow.
>
> If I change the MACHINE, it insists on rebuilding all kinds of packages
> that don't need rebuilding at all. Instead of minutes, it takes an hour
> to switch machines. And if I change back, the same thing happens all
> over again.
>
> In addition to needlessly rebuilding dozens of packages for the same
> architecture, it often "starts" halfway through, so it tries to run the
> "deploy" phase for a package while the workspace has already been
> removed in the rm_work phase of the previous build. Which fails, so I
> have to manually reset stamps for that package and let it start over
> again (while usually the package shouldn't be rebuilt in the first place).
>
> Is building for several machines no longer supported in OE-core? Or is
> there some secret way of setting up directories and variables that will
> make it work as it used to?

It's more strict and every machine now has own sysroot (so it's doing a
bit more after MACHINE change then it did with OE-Classic), but it still
works. I'm using it like this.

Use openembedded-core/scripts/sstate-diff-machines.sh to compare your
machines and make sure that different checksums are only for
MACHINE_ARCH recipes.

Cheer,
Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com