[OE-core] [oe-commits] Chen Qi : busybox: add the ability to split the busybox binary

ChenQi Qi.Chen at windriver.com
Mon Jul 1 12:34:15 UTC 2013

On 07/01/2013 03:33 PM, Martin Jansa wrote:
> Hi Chen,
>
> 1) install image created before this change on target device (which
> doesn't include coreutils, wget and is depending on usable busybox)
> 2) build feeds which include this change
> 3) run  "opkg update && opkg upgrade" on target device (or equivalent
> in your favorite package manager)
> 4) you'll get unusable (and probably unbootable) system at this point,
> because /bin/busybox binary from old busybox version was already
> removed, but u-a symlinks to new /bin/busybox.(no)suid weren't created
> because "sed" used in u-a doesn't work anymore.
>
> As work around I've used
> ln -s /bin/busybox.nosuid /bin/busybox
> to make old u-a links happy and able to finish postinst in new busybox
> version.
>
> FWIW: having /bin/busybox -> busybox.nosuid sounds like good idea to
> have "default" busybox in path for people who're running it directly.
>
> Regards,

Hi Martin,

I forgot the on device upgrade issue when I made the patchset.
Thank you for pointing it out.

I did some tests. The on device upgrade did broke with opkg as the
package manager. RPM does not have this problem.

I'll make a follow-up patch to fix this problem tomorrow.

Thanks a lot,
Chen Qi