[OE-core] Using OpenEmbedded for customized builds

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Thu Jul 4 13:19:21 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 2:34 AM, Holger Hans Peter Freyther
<holger at moiji-mobile.com> wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> we have a basic product and build the images for it using
> OpenEmbedded. Some customers require the installation of
> additional packages, or even the modification of some of
> the installed ones. The current approach would be to build
> one VM per customer but that doesn't really scale.
>
> I think somehow I want to end up with having my base/generic
> buuld and a way to put additional ipk's into a customer
> directory. So something likes this:
>
>   base-build/tmp/deploy/ipk/
>                             armv5te/
>                             machine/
>                             customer1/
>                                       armv5te/
>                             customer2/
>                                       armv5te/
>                             customer3/
>
> or
>
>   base-build/tmp/...
>
>   customer1-build/tmp/deploy/ipk/...
>
> In both cases the customer should only include the packages
> that were built for the customer. All the 'base' packages should
> be taken/used from the base built. I could indicate for which
> customer I build by setting an environment variable?
>
> For a corner case, e.g. if I change the SRCREV and re-build with
> a customer flag set, this package should still go to the customer
> directory.
>
> Can this be already modeled? Do you have any idea how this could
> be done?

Currently I did this using MACHINEOVERRIDE and I made a machine which
is reused for each customer. So I have a single kernel and machine
setup but customer aliases which I can use to control the system in
the image and like.

http://www.ossystems.com.br        http://projetos.ossystems.com.br