[OE-core] use kernel build system for dtb compilation

Andre Draszik andre.draszik at linaro.org
Mon Jul 15 16:50:03 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have a use-case where I need to compile the dtb using the kernel build
system, and the kernel's device tree compiler:
- In dylan, dtc is outdated and can not compile our dts, as that needs
additional include files. dtc in dylan does not understand the include path
option -i, although the dtc that comes with linux-3.4.x does support it.
- Irrespective of the version of the dtc (dylan vs. master), the kernel
build system supports running dtsp files through CPP, which we also need

The attached patch changes linux-dtb.inc to support such a use-case

If KERNEL_DEVICETREE points to file(s) in arch/${ARCH}/boot/dts, instead of
full paths (relative to ${S}), kbuild is used, otherwise behaviour is
unchanged.

An alternative would be to copy what the kernel's Makefile is doing, but
that seems pointless, and still requires updating dtc to something more
recent in dylan.

What do you think about attached (incomplete) patch?

Cheers,
Andre'