[OE-core] too tight inode limits on ext4?

Riku Voipio riku.voipio at linaro.org
Fri Jul 26 13:27:41 UTC 2013

So the image has plenty of space:

root at genericarmv8:~# df -h

/dev/root       2.3G  961M  1.2G  45% /

root at genericarmv8:~#

but only 48 free inodes:

root at genericarmv8:~# df -i
Filesystem     Inodes IUsed  IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/root       34440 34392     48  100% /

ext3 image is much more sensible:

root at genericarmv8:~# df -i
Filesystem     Inodes IUsed  IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/root      293888 34392 259496   12% /

I understand that the E in OE is about embedded, but still only 48 free
inodes seems a bit too steep. I would presume the amount of free inodes
should be about the same for both ext3 and ext4.

Also fiddling with EXTRA_IMAGECMD_ext4 doesn't seem to have any effect,
so currently ext4 images are not very useful.

Riku