[OE-core] Stable Release Process

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Mon Jun 3 16:22:57 UTC 2013

On 06/03/2013 04:18 AM, Philip Balister wrote:
> On 06/03/2013 02:00 AM, Koen Kooi wrote:
>>
>> Op 31 mei 2013, om 19:44 heeft Darren Hart <dvhart at linux.intel.com> het volgende geschreven:

>>> It has been expressed that this has been challenging to enforce
>>> (anything that is freeform is). Do you have any suggestions on how we
>>> could address that? Documentation? Firm maintainer policy of willfully
>>> ignoring non-tagged patches?
>>
>> An email saying "wrong tag, please read README and resubmit"
>> followed by willfully ignoring wrong tags has worked quite well in
>> the past. But only if the README clearly states the tags needed and
>> has a sample git-send-email cmdline.
>
> I find the sample git send-email line in the README to be a huge
> help for me.
>
> Philip

In my experience with this project and our maintainers, they are
exceptionally good-natured and eager to help compared to some other
projects. There would definitely be a painful period as they tried to
resist reminding people and just pulling the patch in anyway. I think it
could work, but we would have to be firm about it and document it well.
Some kind of a stable-release.txt README is definitely in order.

I went to check oe-core for some kind of existing documentation on
policies and came up empty. Perhaps just documenting this
pseudo-existing policy in a place where developers are likely to find it
and can be easily referred to would be a good first step.

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center