[OE-core] Commercial usage of Yocto

Jack Mitchell ml at communistcode.co.uk
Tue Jun 4 08:28:12 UTC 2013

On 04/06/13 05:35, Kumita Bruce wrote:
> Yocto experts,
>
> I am a learner of Yocto, Yocto is a very good tool to build images for
> embedded devices.
>
> I have one question, can Yocto be used for commercial purpose? If the
> answer is yes, what should I do before using it for commercial purpose?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Bruce

The important legal aspect in using the Yocto Project is not the tools
used to build the embedded device images, but the software that is
included in the embedded device images.

All software packages in the Yocto Project are listed with their
respective licences. I would suggest you do some reading on Open Source
licences (GPL, LGPL, BSD etc...) and understand the differences between
the licensing implications of shipped and non-shipped software.

Regards,

--

   Jack Mitchell (jack at embed.me.uk)
   Embedded Systems Engineer