[OE-core] Questions on nfs-utils package: Client and Server RPMs.

zhangxiao xiao.zhang at windriver.com
Thu Jun 6 09:37:56 UTC 2013

Hi Experts,

Currently, YOCTO's nfs-utls is separated into two main packages(RPMs)
client and server.
They are not depend on each other. Client has only a mount.nfs user
space App. With both
client and server RPMs installed, all works fine. But if we just install
client RPM without
server one, we can only mount nfs server with "-o nolock" for lack of
rpcstatd.

While in Debian system, it separate nfs-utils with a different way: one
"common" and the
other called server. Common contains mount.nfs and many other Apps
including rpcstatd.
This way the client side(without server RPM install) can mount remote
NFS server in
normal mode. But the side effect is the server RPM depends on the client
one(Debian
calls it as "common").

On this topic, any opinions on both styles? YOCTO Vs Debian. And, any
plan to modify
YOCTO to align Debian?

Thanks
Xiao