[OE-core] Linux kernel build dependency of 'bc'

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Thu Jun 6 16:08:29 UTC 2013

Hi Otavio,

On Thursday 06 June 2013 12:11:04 Otavio Salvador wrote:
> I got a build failure in my auto builder; it has a very lean system install
> and it spot something it is new for me. It seems the kernel now depends on
> 'bc' util.
>
> I tried to find a 'bc-native'  and couldn't find so I'd like to know if it
> is a known issue and if someone is already working in a 'bc-native' recipe
> to proper fix the issue.

We used to have bc in our list of required host packages in the Yocto Project
quick start guide, but after some testing a few versions ago I removed it
because it didn't seem to be needed. FWIW I don't have it installed on my
primary build machine and I haven't noticed any problems as a result.

Rather than creating bc-native I think we should find out where the dependency
on bc exists and try to patch it out (if practical); if it really is needed
and too hard to remove, we can just add bc to the list of required host
packages. I hope that's not the case though.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton