[OE-core] qt4-embedded - image size

Nicolas Dechesne nicolas.dechesne at linaro.org
Mon Jun 10 13:07:01 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 2:59 PM, Eric Bénard <eric at eukrea.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > > and it should work itself out ?
> > >

> this will work but if you need plugins they will be missing as only the
> linked libraries will be automatically integrated.
>

> > hi, i have observed the same issue, and I used the following
> 'workaround':
> >
> > BAD_RECOMMENDATIONS = " \
> >     qt4-embedded-demos \
> >     qt4-embedded-examples \
> >     qt4-embedded-demos-doc \
> >     qt4-embedded-tools \
> >     qt4-embedded-assistant \
> >     "
> > which I added in my image recipe, that would ensure that the packages
> which
> > are RECOMMENDS don't get installed in the final image.
> >
> > I would be happy to use another (nicer?) method, too.
>

> check packagegroup-core-qt4e.bb and remove :
>         qt4-embedded-demos \
>         qt4-embedded-examples \
>         qt-demo-init \
>         qt4-embedded-assistant \
>
> (and also the plugins & libs you may not need)
>
> FWIW I'm using this to build a quite full featured qt4e base image :
> RDEPENDS_append += " \
>         qt4-embedded \
>         "
>
> QT_INSTALL = " \
>         libqt-embedded3support4 \
>         libqt-embeddedclucene4 \
>         libqt-embeddedcore4 \
>         libqt-embeddedgui4 \
>         libqt-embeddednetwork4 \
>         libqt-embeddedsvg4 \
>         libqt-embeddedsql4 \
>         libqt-embeddedxml4 \
>         libqt-embeddedxmlpatterns4 \
>         libqt-embeddedwebkit4 \
>         libqt-embeddedscripttools4 \
>         libqt-embeddedtest4 \
>         libqt-embeddedmultimedia4 \
>         libqt-embeddedhelp4 \
>         libqt-embeddeddeclarative4 \
>         libqt-embeddeddbus4 \
>         libqt-embeddedphonon4 \
>         \
>         qt4-embedded-fonts-ttf-vera \
>         qt4-embedded-fonts-ttf-dejavu \
>         qt4-embedded-plugin-mousedriver-tslib \
>         qt4-embedded-plugin-sqldriver-sqlite2 \
>         qt4-embedded-plugin-sqldriver-sqlite \
>         qt4-embedded-plugin-phonon-backend-gstreamer \
>         qt4-embedded-plugin-iconengine-svgicon \
>         qt4-embedded-plugin-imageformat-gif \
>         qt4-embedded-plugin-imageformat-ico \
>         qt4-embedded-plugin-imageformat-jpeg \
>         qt4-embedded-plugin-imageformat-mng \
>         qt4-embedded-plugin-imageformat-svg \
>         qt4-embedded-plugin-imageformat-tiff \
>         sqlite3 \
> "
>
> QWT_INSTALL = " \
>         qwt-e \
> "
>
> IMAGE_INSTALL += "\
>         ${QT_INSTALL} \
>         ${QWT_INSTALL} \
> "
>
> and I add this when I want the examples :
> IMAGE_INSTALL += "\
>         qt4-embedded-demos qt4-embedded-examples qt-demo-init \
>         qwt-e-examples \
> "
> (qt-demo-init is a homemade init script).

hi Eric,

thanks for your answer. so, yes I kind of figured out I could do that. But
in fact I was hoping that re-using the existing packagegroup from oe-core
*should* be the right thing to do, instead of re-implementing another one.
and perhaps the packagegroup being called core-qt4e should be restricted to
'core' components, and we could have 1 (or more) additional packagegroups
that could be pulled into images, instead? otherwise what's the point of
having a 'core QT4e packagegroup' if it's not suitable for any real usage?

now, given the current QT4/QT5 stuff, i don't know how relevant this
discussion is.. but i wanted to point out that as a newcomer to this area,
that has been quite confusing!