[OE-core] [RFC] get minimal rootfs to be even smaller

Saul Wold sgw at linux.intel.com
Tue Jun 11 04:27:26 UTC 2013

On 06/10/2013 07:06 PM, Khem Raj wrote:

> On May 31, 2013, at 7:11 AM, Marcin Juszkiewicz <marcin at juszkiewicz.com.pl> wrote:
>
>> First hit: pci.ids.gz and usb.ids.gz ~350KB in total.
>
> udev just RRECOMMENDS  usbutils-ids pciutils-ids so how did it get into build time dependencies to begin with ?

I looked into this a while back and it's the fact that those packages
are built, so they are seen and get installed.  If the packages aren't
available they won't get installed.

Since pciutils and usbutils are both DEPENDS of udev, those get built
and the packages get deployed and then are available to be installed at
the behest of the RRECOMMENDS.

We could maybe have added BAD_RECOMMENDATIONS for core-image-minimal so
that on a larger system udev would still have the -id files available, I
just thought of this, not tested.

Sau!