[OE-core] [RFC] get minimal rootfs to be even smaller

Phil Blundell pb at pbcl.net
Tue Jun 11 15:26:44 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-06-11 at 08:22 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 8:03 AM, Phil Blundell <pb at pbcl.net> wrote:
> > Er, don't RRECOMMENDS always go into the build dependency list?
>
> if they do then whats the difference between DEPENDS and RRECOMMENDS
> functionally.

RDEPENDS are required and the package manager will insist they are
always installed.  RRECOMMENDS are optional; you can uninstall them
after the fact, and you can (with some package managers at least)
declare them to be BAD_RECOMMENDATIONS which will be ignored.

> since now rrecommended packages will always be available and they will
> always make into images.

You say "now", but as far as I know it has always been thus.  If it
wasn't then the set of packages that get installed in the image would
depend on what things you happened to have lying around in your deploy
directory, which would not be a very good thing.

p.