[OE-core] Problem with buildtools-tarball / nativesdk-ncurses / nativesdk-python

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Jun 19 07:56:50 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-06-18 at 21:05 -0500, Mark Hatle wrote:
> My host system's python version is too old due to the recent changes.  So I
> built a temporary python 2.7.3 version.  Built the 'buildtools-tarball' and then
> installed it.  When I switch to the included python it no longer works.
>
> I did some digging, the problem in the end is related to ncurses within the
> nativesdk.
>
> Running the following:
>   py_v26_check=`python -c 'import sys; print sys.version_info >= (2,6,3)'`
> which python
> echo "$py_v26_check" | od -c
>   if [ "$py_v26_check" != "True" ]; then
>           echo "BitBake requires Python 2.7.3 or later"
>           exit 1
>   fi
>
> You can see the difference in behavior:
>
> TERM=xterm
>
> /home/lmhatle/build-qemux86_64-2/buildtools/sysroots/x86_64-wrlinuxsdk-linux/usr/bin/python
> 0000000 033   [   ?   1   0   3   4   h   T   r   u   e  \n
> 0000015
> BitBake requires Python 2.7.3 or later
>
> -----
>
> TERM=vt100
>
> /home/lmhatle/build-qemux86_64-2/buildtools/sysroots/x86_64-wrlinuxsdk-linux/usr/bin/python
> 0000000   T   r   u   e  \n
> 0000005
>
> -----
>
> So as you can see specifying a different terminal type is happily changing the
> output of python.  When I use my locally built version, I don't get the same
> behavior.  I always get the second version.
>
> So is there a problem with the nativesdk python, nativesdk ncurses or???
>
> (I've not yet filed a bug on this, but I will if I can't figure it out soon.)

We've seen this issue but I thought we'd fixed it.

Which version of master did you do this with? This was supposed to be
fixed by
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/commit/?id=c281cd149bdbce29fc69cb34c65c4295cfed2060 and http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/commit/?id=534c4d0f1e287d0ac82504b273a5497d3457582a

If you're still having problems, please strace the above python command
and see where its looking for terminfo...