[OE-core] [RFC] eglibc / glibc and option-groups being deprecated?

Phil Blundell pb at pbcl.net
Wed Jun 19 10:18:39 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-06-18 at 16:00 -0500, Mark Hatle wrote:
> Recently on the eglibc mailing list there has been a discussion about removing
> the option groups.  See: http://www.eglibc.org/archives/patches/msg01268.html
>
> For folks who don't know what option-groups are, it's a patch that went into
> eglibc a number of years ago that allows you to disable various components
> (effectively altering the API) in order to shrink the size of glibc.

I'd be quite happy to see that functionality go away.  It's never been
very obvious to me that it solves any particularly important real-world
problem, and it introduces a maintenance/complexity burden both for
eglibc itself and for its users (who can no longer rely on given
functionality being available; see our DISTRO_LIBC_FEATURES thing for
example).

p.