[OE-core] Qt embedded, touchscreens, and cursors

Steve Sakoman sakoman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 16:34:05 UTC 2013

I'm new to the Qt world, so perhaps this is a stupid question . . .

I'm helping a client create a custom layer for their touchscreen based
hardware and Qt applications.

They've decided to use Qt4e and we are including the stock danny qt4e
binaries in the image.

All works as desired with one exception:  the Qt cursor appears at app
launch time with a green 16x16 background, converts to the app
background shortly thereafter, and then stays on the screen until the
first time you touch the screen, then disappears and stays gone.

Some quick googling indicates this is a common problem with touchsceen
Qt implementations and that there are no satisfactory runtime
solutions.  The most often recommended solution is to disable the
cursor at build time with -no-feature-CURSOR added to the Qt config
options.  This option is also claimed to give a significant
performance boost.

I tried adding a bbappend to add this option, but as some of the above
mentioned sources indicated the Qt build will fail unless you disable
demos, examples, and a couple of other build features.  I started
going down this path but I suspect it will require changes to the base
Qte recipe.

Have others run into this issue?  I suspect that most target hardware
for Yocto builds are touchscreen based, so this will likely come up
over and over again.

Any suggestions?

Steve