[OE-core] update-alternatives and kernel modules

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Wed Mar 13 15:05:40 UTC 2013

On 3/13/13 8:48 AM, Martin Jansa wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 08:35:02AM -0500, Mark Hatle wrote:

>>> I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what they are trying
>>> to achieve. Can you describe it from a non-packaging point of view ?
>>>
>>> i.e. do they have two kernel modules that provide the same sort of
>>> services to the kernel and they want to switch between the two of
>>> them based on the alternatives mechanism ?
>>
>> Yes, that is exactly it.  For some reason they have two kernel modules that have
>> the same name, same external behavior.. but internally there are code changes.
>> Using the update-alternatives mechanism they have selected one version is
>> "better" then the other.
>>
>> (Frankly this seems bogus to me.. which is why I'm asking the question.  Is this
>> even supported or is this simply "don't do that".)
>
> Cannot you rename them in do_install to module-foo.${BPN}.ko and set
> ALTERNATIVE_TARGET_kernel-module-foo[foo] to module-foo.${BPN}.ko ?

My understanding (perhaps incorrect) is that depmod uses the ".ko" extension to
figure out what to process and what to load.  By having them all end in ".ko",
it's going to affect automatic loading and you could get either one (or neither)
to load properly.

But that was a suggestion I had originally thought of.  I'm still wondering
though if this whole premise is simply wrong.

--Mark