[OE-core] SDK meta-toolchain

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Tue May 7 16:36:26 UTC 2013

On 5/7/13 11:09 AM, Kyle Farnsworth wrote:
> I'm a bit confused about what exactly meta-toolchain is building?  It
> seems to be bitbaking gcc and creating a toolchain with the prefix
> x86_64-oesdk-linux- (default SDK_PREFIX) but I'm not sure what it is.
> Is it a cross-compile for my target MACHINE or a compiler for my build
> machine?  Based on the prefix name I am assuming the latter.

There are two ways to generate an SDK.

* targeted SDK -- This is a meta-toolchain* recipe that lists -exactly- what is
going to be in the SDK.  This is great if you want to limit your SDK to specific
libraries for your application developers.

* implied / image based SDK -- This type of SDK bases off of what is in the
image to generate an SDK that contains all of the libraries that are runnable
inside of the image.  This is a very simple way to generate an SDK for
application developers that -will- match the run-time image.

Both of the above have their place, depending on the level of command and
control people want.

The basic meta-toolchain is just the cross compile toolchain and I believe the
libc.  meta-toolchain-gmae is an example Gnome Mobile Application Environment.

--Mark