[OE-core] proposal to move cogl, clutter and related recipes from oe-core to dedicated meta-clutter layer

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Wed May 8 15:23:38 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-05-08 at 16:11 +0100, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
> I think it would makes sense to move clutter related packages from
> oe-core into a dedicated layer:
>
> * AFAIK nothing in oe-core requires cogl/clutter/mx,
>
> * The packages in oe-core are effectively unmaintained, several upstream
> releases behind, and pretty much unusable,
>
> * The somewhat random nature of clutter and cogl releases makes it hard
> to sensibly manage these packages within the oe-core release cycle, but
> a dedicated layer could follow the upstream developments.
>

> I have started work on new clutter and related packages for use by
> meta-guacamayo at https://github.com/Guacamayo/meta-clutter, but I'd be
> more than happy for the layer to live somewhere else and become the
> canonical location for clutter-related bits and pieces.

I have no idea why you've always felt the need to maintain the clutter
pieces in your own layer rather than interacting with the ones in
OE-Core instead which I'd love to see better maintained. I'm not aware
of any barrier that has prevented that.

I can't help feeling this is an artificially created problem :/.