[OE-core] autotools_preconfigure not removing separate B

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu May 9 20:57:40 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-05-09 at 12:48 +0200, Martin Jansa wrote:
> Do we really need -e "${CONFIGURESTAMPFILE}" check in autotools_preconfigure?
>
> In some cases when do_configure is failing (but after creating e.g. .qmake.cache)
> it would be better to start with clean B on 2nd attempt to configure it, but
> CONFIGURESTAMPFILE wasn't created yet.
>
> Does someone remember why we need to test CONFIGURESTAMPFILE existence first
> (was it only to prevent cat ${CONFIGURESTAMPFILE} to fail?)

I suspect so. I think the logical here also assumed we were going to try
and do something like a "make distclean" originally too so it was rather
specific about the conditions.

With the better support for separate ${B} looking like the right
direction to go (roughly well supported by recipes), we might be able to
justify unconditionally wiping ${B} at the start of do_configure.

> autotools_preconfigure() {
>         if [ -n "${CONFIGURESTAMPFILE}" -a -e "${CONFIGURESTAMPFILE}" ]; then
>                 if [ "`cat ${CONFIGURESTAMPFILE}`" != "${BB_TASKHASH}" -a "${S}" != "${B}" ]; then
>                         echo "Previously configured separate build directory detected, cleaning ${B}"

i.e. this just becomes:

                echo "Separate build directory detected, cleaning ${B}"

We still need a plan to deal with that horrible monster include file.
Its fine for proof of concept but we need to move somewhere from here.