[OE-core] proposal to move cogl, clutter and related recipes from oe-core to dedicated meta-clutter layer

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Fri May 10 20:37:17 UTC 2013

On 5/10/13 3:22 PM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Richard Purdie
> <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> If you mean you are prepared to do frequent point releases to keep up
>>> with clutter, that could work. But if you mean that those interested can
>>> closely track oe-core master, then that is not that useful, there are
>>> too many other changes happening at the same time. A small single
>>> purpose layer means updates (and breakages) can be very contained.
>>
>> Point releases of what? I don't mind clutter in master changing quite a
>> lot up to our stabilisation point. Once we've released, I don't mind
>> someone else picking up a danny-clutter branch or something like that
>> which is backporting specific changes.
>
> So we're going to have <branch>-<pet package> branches? I think this
> does not scale and I am at Tomas side. The layer seems the right thing
>   to do so it does not need to be done by branch and avoid confusing
> users.

>>> I am all for this, but does using clutter for automated tests require
>>> for the clutter packages to be in oe-core? The only thing you can stress
>>> test in oe-core using clutter is mesa, which is only applicable to the
>>> i915/i965 chip sets. I think it would be useful if any such tests could
>>> be applied to other graphics stacks provided by BSPs; I think all of the
>>> BSPs would benefit from this.
>>
>> We'd be able to test mesa and the software fallbacks under qemu which
>> would be a start. If we can get those working with a decent framework
>> for the tests, I'm hoping wider BSP testing would follow. I don't have
>> unlimited resources available but I can try and get the software
>> infrastructure to the point where doing the testing could be picked up
>> by someone else relatively easily.
>
> You could do just the same but adding meta-clutter to the AB setup for
> testing. One thing does not conflict with the another.
>
>> It is a big help in trying to achieve this if we don't have many
>> different layers involved as that would complicate the problem, even
>> coordinating layer releases between different maintainers is tricky
>> right now and trying to develop something like this over layer
>> boundaries sounds like adding to the complexity to the point I'd rather
>> just scrap the idea :(.
>
> Well if layers make life harder it invalidates one of points of Yocto
> which I always liked and depends on heavily - modular design.

One of the key pieces of the oe-core, it must be able to work without any
additional layers.  It also much be able to be tested without any additional layers.

I personally don't have a preference for the clutter and related items on where
they live... but I do want to make sure that oe-core can standalone as a
starting point for people to develop devices.  Part of being standalone means
that it is capable of being tested.

--Mark