[OE-core] proposal to move cogl, clutter and related recipes from oe-core to dedicated meta-clutter layer

Tomas Frydrych tf+lists.yocto at r-finger.com
Wed May 15 11:35:13 UTC 2013

Hi Paul,

On 15/05/13 10:49, Paul Eggleton wrote:
>> It prevents efficiently supporting clutter on any real machine that does
>> not use mesa's GL, which means all machines not in meta-intel, and some
>> machines in meta-intel. This is the main issue, real HW support.
>
> How does it prevent that? Surely if machine-specific changes are required then
> they will be required on top of a separate layer as much as they are if the
> recipes remain in OE-Core.

It could be all pulled together into the meta-clutter layer, the
supported BSPs and machines documented, etc, so that common machines
just work out of the box. We could have a dedicated mailing list, a bug
tracker, build a community around it, pull resources.

> The layer mechanism exists to allow specific
> recipes to be extended if needed. Having the recipes in OE-Core does not
> preclude their extension or replacement with newer versions elsewhere for
> those that need it.

I have followed the model you advocate for over a year with clutter, and
it is a PITA, so I am thinking that perhaps there are others who are
doing the same and we could do it in one well known place.

> You may well be right about the need to test on other GL implementations.
> That does not explain how moving them to a separate layer directly helps to address
> that need. You must also expect to make some changes to the recipes
> themselves, so what changes would you be making?

It's not just about testing, you have to build it first: I would like to
see a set of recipes that can support a whole bunch of machines in the
public OE BSP layers out of the box: configs that work and make sense,
patches where needed, documentation, including documentation of BSP
specific issues.

In the absence of a community-owned meta-clutter layer, if anyone is
stuck maintaining their own clutter recipes, I have a set at
https://github.com/Guacamayo/meta-clutter which can perhaps be of some use.

Tomas

--
http://sleepfive.com