[OE-core] proposal to move cogl, clutter and related recipes from oe-core to dedicated meta-clutter layer

Andreas Oberritter obi at opendreambox.org
Wed May 15 13:20:09 UTC 2013

On 15.05.2013 11:53, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Tomas Frydrych
> <tf+lists.yocto at r-finger.com> wrote:
>> Hi Paul,

>>> How does it prevent that? Surely if machine-specific changes are required then
>>> they will be required on top of a separate layer as much as they are if the
>>> recipes remain in OE-Core.
>>
>> It could be all pulled together into the meta-clutter layer, the
>> supported BSPs and machines documented, etc, so that common machines
>> just work out of the box. We could have a dedicated mailing list, a bug
>> tracker, build a community around it, pull resources.
>
> +1
>
>>> The layer mechanism exists to allow specific
>>> recipes to be extended if needed. Having the recipes in OE-Core does not
>>> preclude their extension or replacement with newer versions elsewhere for
>>> those that need it.
>>
>> I have followed the model you advocate for over a year with clutter, and
>> it is a PITA, so I am thinking that perhaps there are others who are
>> doing the same and we could do it in one well known place.
>
> +1
>
>>> You may well be right about the need to test on other GL implementations.
>>> That does not explain how moving them to a separate layer directly helps to address
>>> that need. You must also expect to make some changes to the recipes
>>> themselves, so what changes would you be making?
>>
>> It's not just about testing, you have to build it first: I would like to
>> see a set of recipes that can support a whole bunch of machines in the
>> public OE BSP layers out of the box: configs that work and make sense,
>> patches where needed, documentation, including documentation of BSP
>> specific issues.
>>
>> In the absence of a community-owned meta-clutter layer, if anyone is
>> stuck maintaining their own clutter recipes, I have a set at
>> https://github.com/Guacamayo/meta-clutter which can perhaps be of some use.
>
> +1
>
> I share same feeling of Tomas and I agree that a new layer is the way
> to go. Having it in a specific layer will allow for more shared work
> and easy a community creation around it.

I fail to see why the presence of meta-clutter contradicts keeping
clutter and related recipes in oe-core. If you add meta-clutter to your
layers, then its recipes will override those in oe-core anyway.

Of course, clutter recipes in oe-core could see some maintenance, but
that's IMO a different topic.

Regards,
Andreas