[OE-core] should perl modules go in oe-core? (possibly python and ruby ones too)

Joe MacDonald joe at deserted.net
Thu May 16 11:37:03 UTC 2013

[[OE-core] should perl modules go in oe-core? (possibly python and ruby ones too)] On 13.05.16 (Thu 14:56) Jesse Zhang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We've accumulated quite a few perl modules and would like to contribute
> some/all of them to oe-core. But I think we'd better ask how everyone
> thinks before doing so, since the number of the modules are pretty
> large, and the policy may as well apply to python/ruby packages.
>
> Most of the modules are simple cpan recipes. They are easy to maintain,
> but do consume *some* manpower.
>
> I think there are a few alternatives.
>
> 1. decide on each module on a case-by-case basis.
>
> 2. keep all of them in some special layer other than oe-core.
>
> 3. everyone maintain what they need in-house.

Have you considered the possibility of a meta-perl or meta-cpan layer in
meta-openembedded?  It was the first thing that occurred to me and I see
both Phil and Richard making pretty similar suggestions.  There's
already a meta-ruby layer there and it may also help address some of the
perl dependency problems that crop up in recipes in meta-Openembedded.

-J.