[OE-core] Redefine variable in bbappend

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Fri May 17 15:50:33 UTC 2013

On 5/16/13 7:08 PM, Yevhen Kyriukha wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm using "base-files" recipe but I don't want that /var/log be a
> symlink to temp directory.
> Therefore in my custom layer I created base-files bbappend file with
> following content:
>
> PRINC := "${@int(PRINC) + 1}"
>
> dirs755_append += "${localstatedir}/log"
> volatiles = "run lock tmp"
>
> In this recipe I removed "log" from volatiles but it doesn't work.
> I'm getting error:
> ERROR: Fixup Perms: Unable to correct directory link, target already
> exists: /var/log -> /var/volatile/log
>
> How to properly redefine the variable in bbappend file?

There are two parts to the filesystem layout.  There is the base-files package
that sets up the initial layout.  This is the recipe you modified.  But there is
also a second file that affects -all- packages and ensures that the directories
(and links) that they create match the system configuration.

This is the meta/files/fs-perms.txt file.

Instead of copying this file to your layer and changing it, the system allows
you to make your own custom changes.  To do that:

Create a new file in your layer:

your-layer/files/my-fs-perms.txt:
# Make /var/log a directory
${localstatedir}/log  0755   root   root   false   -   -   -

Then in the layer's conf/layer.conf add:

FILESYSTEM_PERMS_TABLES = "files/fs-perms.txt files/my-fs-perms.txt"

This will tell the system to first load the fs-perms.txt file, and then load
my-fs-perms.txt.  The second file will simply add/change the entry from the first.

--Mark