[OE-core] Clashing man pages

Paul Barker paul at paulbarker.me.uk
Sun May 19 12:00:24 UTC 2013

I'm generating a rootfs image which I intend to be usable
interactively so I've added IMAGE_FEATURES += "doc-pkgs" to my image
recipe. do_rootfs fails with the following clashes:

|  * check_data_file_clashes: Package ncurses-doc wants to install
file /home/pbarker/build/20130518_wych/build/tmp/work/qemuarm-wych-linux-gnueabi/wych-image-full/1.0-r0/rootfs/usr/share/man/man1/reset.1
| But that file is already provided by package  * util-linux-doc
|  * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package ncurses-doc.
|  * check_data_file_clashes: Package coreutils-doc wants to install
file /home/pbarker/build/20130518_wych/build/tmp/work/qemuarm-wych-linux-gnueabi/wych-image-full/1.0-r0/rootfs/usr/share/man/man1/kill.1
| But that file is already provided by package  * util-linux-doc
|  * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package coreutils-doc.
|  * check_data_file_clashes: Package shadow-doc wants to install file
/home/pbarker/build/20130518_wych/build/tmp/work/qemuarm-wych-linux-gnueabi/wych-image-full/1.0-r0/rootfs/usr/share/man/man5/passwd.5
| But that file is already provided by package  * man-pages
|  * check_data_file_clashes: Package shadow-doc wants to install file
/home/pbarker/build/20130518_wych/build/tmp/work/qemuarm-wych-linux-gnueabi/wych-image-full/1.0-r0/rootfs/usr/share/man/man3/getspnam.3
| But that file is already provided by package  * man-pages
|  * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package shadow-doc.

I've explicitly said I want coreutils and man-pages, the rest is being
pulled in implicitly as dependencies of something. There's nothing in
qa.log or the bitbake output to suggest that installed files are
clashing so I'm not sure if this could have been reported earlier.

The best fix I can think of at the minute is to add a bbappend to my
layer which removes the clashing man pages from one of the packages in
each case, leaving the files just in the package I do want to take
precedence. If anyone has any better ideas let me know.

I know we have update-alternatives for executables but is there a way
to link this with the relevant man page? So for example when I select
kill from coreutils, kill.1 is provided by coreutils as well, when I
select kill from util-linux, kill.1 is provided by util-linux as well.

--
Paul Barker

Email: paul at paulbarker.me.uk
http://www.paulbarker.me.uk