[OE-core] GCC-4.8 and Arm Kernel

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Tue May 21 02:19:17 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Saul Wold <sgw at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> We want to move forward to the GCC-4.8 Compiler, what's holding us back
> right now is a kernel update for ARM.  My understanding is there is a patch
> out there, but it needs to be backported and tested. I have checked with
> Bruce A. about this and he has limited availability, but will take a patch
> to the kernel tree if a well tested patch is provide.

And as a clarification follow up, I'm around, but just won't have enough time
at my keyboard to locate, boot and properly test this myself on the 3.4, 3.8
and -dev kernels.

There are plenty of reports and traffic on lkml about gcc 4.8 and the kernel,
and either I missed the silver bullet fix (unlikely) or series of commits that
address the issue we are seeing (more than likely).

Cheers,

Bruce

> Thanks
>
> --