[OE-core] Poor first impression

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Tue May 21 18:13:37 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-21 03:10, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-05-17 at 07:26 -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:
>> I just tried to run Poky/Yocto on a fresh Ubuntu 12.04 system.  I knew there would
>> be missing bits and have seen the "sanity" messages in the past, so I thought I'd
>> just carry on.  Today's experience was not pretty and would it not for my experience
>> with this, I would have been very perplexed...
>
> There are two issues there, firstly the scripts/bitbake binary is doing
> a really bad job, secondly, one of the improved debugging patches I
> added to bitbake, regressed things in this case.
>
> I posted a patch to bitbake last night, I've just posted a fix for
> scripts/bitbake now. These two together should improve this. I agree
> that particular error would create a poor first impression, thanks for
> reporting it.

With this patch, no 'git' and a fresh build I still get this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/home/local/poky-multi/bitbake/bin/bitbake", line 293, in <module>
     ret = main()
   File "/home/local/poky-multi/bitbake/bin/bitbake", line 260, in main
     event = server.event_queue.get(block=False)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/multiprocessing/queues.py", line 104, in get
     raise Empty
Empty
Pseudo is not present but is required, building this first before the main build
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/home/local/poky-multi/bitbake/bin/bitbake", line 293, in <module>
     ret = main()
   File "/home/local/poky-multi/bitbake/bin/bitbake", line 260, in main
     event = server.event_queue.get(block=False)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/multiprocessing/queues.py", line 104, in get
     raise Empty
Empty
ERROR:  OE-core's config sanity checker detected a potential misconfiguration.
     Either fix the cause of this error or at your own risk disable the checker (see sanity.conf).
     Following is the list of potential problems / advisories:

     Please install the following missing utilities: git

Still not very pretty.